Resources for Historical Research
Historical Research Resources in Edinburgh
- National Archive for Scotland The NAS looks after records, dating from the 12th century to the present day, in three buildings in Edinburgh: General Register House, West Register House and Thomas Thomson House.
- Scotland's People The official government source of genealogical data for Scotland.
- Edinburgh City Libraries history sphere Articles with photographs and images, as well as details of latest acquisitions and records available to the public.
- Edinburgh's One o'clock Gun Association Hard to believe, but there is an organisation, which as the name suggests celebrate the history of Edinburgh's one o'clock gun, down to gunners' uniforms and artillery used.
- Edinburgh's World Heritage Charity responsible for conserving and promoting Edinburgh's World Heritage Site in the City Centre.
- Cyndi's List Discover your Scottish roots at this genealogy resource
- Grand Lodge of Scotland Scottish masonic HQ based in Edinburgh.
- History of the Scottish Crown The Queen's official site provides a potted guide to the Scottish monarchy from the early monarchs of whom little is known to the "Jacobite Claimant" - bonnie Prince Charlie and beyond
- Rampant Scotland Directory that carries links to key dates in Scottish history.
- Scran Scottish Publicly funded Scottish history and culture site with images, sounds, movies and learning resources.
- Saltire Society Respected organisation, based on the High Street in Edinburgh, that aims "to preserve all that is best in Scottish tradition and to encourage every new development which can strengthen and enrich the country's cultural life."