- Edinburgh is the principal gateway to Scotland and is the 2nd city in the UK for international tourist arrivals.
- 45 per cent of all overseas visitors to Scotland come to Edinburgh.
- Four million visitors per year are attracted to the city, spending £1.7 billion in 2006.
- Edinburgh ranks 2nd in the UK and 5th in Europe for RevPAR (revenue per available room).
- Hotel occupancy rates in 2007 were 76 per cent against the Scottish average of 65 per cent and a UK average of 67 per cent.
- Tourism is Edinburgh's largest employment sector, with approximately
31,000 people working in the industry. The next biggest employment
sectors are: Financial Services, Retail, Creative Industries and
Science and Technology.