Edinburgh Jazz Festival Mardi Gras
The free Mardi Gras, part of the Edinburgh Jazz Festival, launches Edinburgh's Festival season with customary brio. The multiple stages and bands bring a splash of colour and the sounds of New Orleans styled jazz to the streets.
However, this year the popular parade will not be happening (perhaps due to the fact that resources are being diverted to the new Edinburgh Festival Carnival tomorrow).
The 2012 line-up of bands appearing on the Grassmarket stages are:
- The Stooges from New Orleans (opening the proceedings)
- Savannah Jazz Band
- Al's Dixie Palz
- Iain Hunter and Freddie King vocalists
- Dana Dixon, blues Harmonica and vocalist, with her band
- Sleepy Eyes Nelson (acoustic blues)
- The Criterion Parade Band (red-shirted Mardi Gras stalwarts)
A donation of a couple of pounds is usually suggested to help ensure the Mardis Gras can continue next year and beyond.