Nominations for 31st Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards Announced
So here we are again its 2011 and the comedy shortlist has arrived.
The nominations for Foster’s Best Comedy Show are:
- Adam Riches: Bring Me the Head of Adam Riches
- Andrew Maxwell: The Lights Are On
- Chris Ramsey: Offermation
- Josie Long: The Future Is Another Place
- Nick Helm: Dare to Dream
- Sam Simmons - Meanwhile
The nominations for Foster’s Best Newcomer:
- Cariad Lloyd: Lady Cariad’s Characters
- The Chris and Paul Show
- Hannibal Buress- My Name is Hannibal: The Hannibal Montanabal Experience
- Holly Walsh – The Hollycopter
- Humphrey Ker is Dymock Watson: Nazi Smasher!
- Josh Widdicombe: If This Show Saves One Life
- Thom Tuck Goes Straight to DVD
- Totally Tom
Nica Burns, producer of the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards said:
“This record-breaking year of 505 eligible shows demonstrates the incredible strength of the UK comedy scene, which is bursting with talent both familiar and new and continues to grow at an astonishing rate. Not only that: in the run-up to this year’s Fringe, everyone was predicting that 2011 would be an exceptional year for newcomers – they were right. With 100 extra newcomer shows to consider, it came as no surprise that the panel was spoilt for choice. This inspired the longest debate in the history of the Newcomer Award, and a second vote. Result: an unprecedented shortlist of eight, all of whom the panel feels should be encouraged, as they clearly have a brilliant future in comedy.
We have a brilliant shortlist for Best Comedy Show; a set of nominees to please differing funny bones - character, political and life-affirming comedy. And most of all- very, very funny. Comedy in the UK is in fantastic shape. This has been a great Edinburgh Festival for comedy”.
The winners will be announced on Saturday 27th August at a lunchtime ceremony at Dovecot Studios, Infirmary Street. Opening the envelopes are this year’s host Omid Djalili and last year’s Best Comedy Show winner, Russell Kane. Live music will be provided by from The Horne Section.
The Awards and prizes are:-
- Best Comedy Show with a cash prize of £10,000
- Best Newcomer with a cash prize of £5,000
- Panel Prize with a cash prize of £5,000
The winners and nominees can be seen at the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards Show on Sunday August 28th at 15.50 at Pleasance Courtyard.