Most of Edinburgh's schools are to open fully on Tuesday (7 December) with only a few exceptions in spite of the unpredictable weather and the chaos in Edinburgh City Centre yesterday. Heavy, wet snow, caused public transport to shut down and city centre roads seized up as motorists scrambled to get home.
Edinburgh City Council will open "as many schools as possible".
"Parents should make their own judgement about whether to send children to school as we understand that it may be very difficult to make the journey. Pupil absence will be recorded as authorised in what are obviously very difficult circumstances," the Council advised in its latest update today.
Home to School contract bus companies will provide transport for registered students, weather permitting. All pupils should bring a packed lunch.
The current situation (on Monday) is:
- Secondary Schools
- Primary Schools
- Special Schools
- Nurseries, Child and Family Centres
- Community Centres
- Community events and meetings
- Severe weather updates
All secondary schools are set to open for S1-S6 on Tuesday except the following:
- Queensferry High - Closed
- Liberton High - open to S4-S6 only
- Balerno High - No transport for pupils who take private bus from Livingston & Mid-Calder
The following primary schools will be closed tomorrow:
- Dean Park
- St Margaret's RC primary, Sth Queensferry
The following primary schools will open but please note the following:
- Craigour Park - No breakfast club
- Crammond - No nursery class
- Gracemount - No breakfast club
- Gylemuir - No nursery class
- South Morningside - No nursery class
- St Katherine's - No nursery class
- St Mark's - No nursery class
- St John Vianney's - No nursery class
- St Cuthbert's - No language class
All special schools will be closed on Tuesday. The situation will be reviewed ahead of Wednesday.
All are open except Spinney Lane which will be closed.
The following City of Edinburgh Council community centres will be closed:
- Roseberry Hall
- Jack Kane
- Magdalene Rannoch
- Norwood Wing
- Craigmount Wing
- Juniper Green
All evening lets in primary schools are cancelled this week. Daytime adult education classes will run as normal, as will evening classes running in open community centres. Evening classes based in schools will not run.
Anyone looking to attend external events normally hosted in schools, e.g. councillor surgeries or community groups, should check if they are going ahead.