The internet age has brought on a painful transformation for the print media everywhere, and the press in Edinburgh and Scotland is no exception with constant rounds of cost-cuttings and consolidations.
Many of these publications will likely not survive in their printed form into the next decade, as their traditional readership dies off, and newspapers and magazines fully embrace the digital media age and an audience weaned on interactive rich media, RSS feeds, blogs, and news now.
Newspapers & Magazines, Edinburgh & Scotland
- The Big Issue Scotland Charitable Scottish arts and culture magazine.
- Caledonian Mercury Launched in 2010, Scottish news 'zine.
- The Courier Focuses on Fife and Tayside.
- Daily Record The tabloid online.
- Edinburgh Life Magazine Local glossy mag covering arts, history, and culture.
- Edinburgh University Student Edinburgh Uni's student newspaper.
- Evening News Local daily newspaper.
- The Guardian Best of the England-biased papers.
- The Herald Glasgow-based broadsheet with daily Scottish news.
- i-on Magazine Portable, coffee table glossy for Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- icscotland Scottish portal from Daily Record and Sunday Mail.
- The Independent London-based paper, has good stories when it ventures North of the border.
- The List Fortnightly magazine covering Scotland
- The Observer Sister paper of The Guardian. Publishes Sunday. Ruaridh Nicoll writes from Edinburgh.
- Scotland On Sunday The Sunday broadsheet.
- Scotsgay magazine Text editions of the magazine.
- The Scotsman (Registration required) Edinburgh-based broadsheet is a good source of national and international news.
- Scottish National Press Association Site for this body representing Scottish local and regional newspapers.
- Shortlist Free weekly, lad lifestyle mag. Not much Edinburgh content.
- South Edinburgh Echo Local free community newspaper.
- Sunday Herald The Sunday broadsheet launched in early 1999, embracing the web whole-heartedly from the outset.
- Sunday Post The paper most associated with twee Scotland. What a surprise when it launched its own web site, then.
- Sunday Times The London-based broadsheet includes a Scottish section on Sundays, Ecosse.
- Stylist Women's weekly, distributed in various UK cities.
- The Telegraph English newspaper cherishes traditional values.
- This Is North Scotland Online version of the Aberdeen-based Press & Journal.
- Urban Realm Scottish architecture and urban design magazine