The people of Edinburgh today elect 58 councillors who will serve on Edinburgh City Council's 17 multi-member wards. There are 7 four-member and 10 three-member wards.
Edinburgh residents will be asked to vote by numbers under the Single Transferable Voting (STV) system. The ballot paper will list all the candidates standing in each ward and each voter will be asked to number them in order of their choice one, two, and three and so on.
Polls are open throughout day on 3rd May and you can also choose to vote by proxy or by post.
The election count takes place at Meadowbank on Friday 4 May.
Deadlines for Registering to Vote
- 18 April 2012: Registering to vote
- 18 April 2012: New Postal Vote Applications and Changes to existing Postal Votes
- 18 April 2012: Changes to existing Proxy Votes
- 25 April 2012: New applications to vote by proxy
- 3 May 2012 (5pm): Emergency proxy applications
Current make-up of Council
- Scottish Liberal Democrat Party: 16 seats
- The Labour Party: 15 seats
- Scottish National Party: 13 seats
- Conservative Party: 11 seats
- Green Party: 3 seats