HRH The Princess Royal was installed as Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh in the quadrangle of Old College on 26 September 2011. The new Chancellor then unveiled a plaque to mark the newly completed landscaping of the quadrangle.
The new quad completes the original architectural plans for the space that began in 1789, and was made possible following a £1 million anonymous donation.
The grey gravel surface has been replaced with Clashach sandstone and a new lawn has been created at its centre.
The area cannot only be enjoyed by the University's staff, students and visitors, but is accessible to members of the public and will provide a versatile space for events during the Edinburgh festival season and throughout the year.