Boat and Ferry
- Rosyth to Zeebrugge Ferry Despite being a port city, passenger ferries do not run to and from the city. Rosyth, 15 miles from Edinburgh, has a terminus, with a freight service to Zeebrugge in Belgium run by DFDS Seaways (formerly Norfolkline). DFDS runs a passenger ferry service from Newcastle in England to Amsterdam, Holland.
- Caldedonian MacBrayne Those going to the Western isles, will likely be travelling with Scotland's largest passenger ferry company.
Canals and waterways
The heyday of Edinburgh's Union Canal may have passed but in recent years much work has been done in revitalising the canal, which runs from the city centre, for recreation, sport, and even commuting.
- Scottish Canal Society Excellent site on Scottish canals. The "Lowland canals" section has good coverage of Forth & Clyde and Union canals. Full Skipper's Guides are also available from as downloadable PDF files.
- Waterscape Local waterway access info from British Waterways.
- Re-Union Canal Boats Afternoon boat trips on the revived 19th Century Union canal in Edinburgh.