Edinburgh Driving, Car Share and Rental
Edinburgh has a large number of black cab taxis and decent public transport. There's also carshare options from car pools to car share clubs and schemes.
Edinburgh Car Share
- Tripshare Edinburgh Edinburgh branch of UK National Liftshare site. Car pooling with people going your way. Free to use.
- City Car Club A UK urban car network which opened Edinburgh's first car club. Offers the convenience of easy access to a car for shorter urban journeys such as shopping trips, without the bother of owning the car. Once you're a member, you have the option to hire different types of cars or vans, located around Edinburgh, by the hour. Less economical for longer trips.
- Bla Bla Car Paid service linking passengers with drivers for trips around the UK.
- Zipcar Based at Edinburgh airport. Members can rent by the hour in select cities around UK, including Glasgow. Annual membership fee.
- Uber Taxi like, app-based service Uber arrived in Edinburgh and Glasgow in 2015.
Edinburgh Car Hire (includes minibus and van hire)
- Arnold Clark Car & Van Rental Scottish company offering reservations for car, van and minibus rentals across the U.K.
- Avis Car rental in Edinburgh and across 120 UK and 3,800 international locations.
- Budget Car Hire Range of Edinburgh car rentals. 3,400 locations in over 128 countries.
- Alamo Car Hire International car rental firm with Edinburgh and Edinburgh airport locations.
- Hertz The car rental giant has four rental locations in Edinburgh - two central, one on the west and one at the airport.
Edinburgh Car Parking (including Edinburgh airport parking)
- Edinburgh City Council Parking Detailed parking information for visitors and residents from Edinburgh City Council including car parking fees, parking tickets and fines, resident's parking permits, impounded vehicles, Edinburgh parking zones and such like.
Useful resources for driving in Edinburgh
- City of Edinburgh transport Roadworks, parking, and local traffic news.
- Edinburgh Traffic Cams Road webcams dotted along the City Bypass on the perimetre of Edinburgh, and the M8 motorway (heading West to Glasgow) and M9 motorway (North).
- Traffic Scotland Latest reports on road and rail conditions
- Forth Road Bridge Updates on conditions on the Forth Road Bridge
General UK Motoring info
- UK Government The portal page on motoring in Britain.
- VCA Car Fuel Data Stats on most economic vehicles in terms of fuel, car tax, and CO2 emissions from the Vehicle Certification Agency.
U.K.wide Car Sites
- DVLA Government site with info on car registration, road tax, driver licensing, and so on.