This elegant 18th century building, situated in Edinburgh's New Town, is a mixed use venue owned and managed by Edinburgh City Council.
After a long wait, a £9.3 million refurbishment of The Assembly Rooms was approved by Council in December 2010, in spite of protests by longtime Fringe tenants Assembly at the plan to introduce shops and a restaurant at ground level.
The Assembly Rooms re-opened following its refurbishment in July 2012 in time for the Edinburgh Fringe in August.
Considered one of the Fringe's top venues, Assembly lost its tenancy and the refurbished venue is now run as Assembly Rooms Fringe by the same people behind The Stand.
A partnership with The Famous Spiegeltent during the Fringe sees an alfresco terraced area on George Street outside the Assembly Rooms.
Throughout the year the Assembly Rooms is the scene of ceilidhs, fairs, dances, and other special events.
Reviews of shows here
- Churchill Review (17 Aug '12)
- Appointment with the Wicker Man Review 2 (08 Aug '12)
- Love Letters to the Public Transport System (2012) Review (08 Aug '12)
- Molly Wobbly's Tit Factory Review (04 Aug '12)
- Appointment with the Wicker Man Review (04 Aug '12)
- Foodies Christmas Festival, 3-5 December 2010 (10 Dec '10)
- Camille O’Sullivan – Chameleon Review (25 Aug '10)
- My Hamlet With Linda Marlowe Review (21 Aug '10)
- Barb Jungr - The Men I Love Review (20 Aug '10)
- Chris Addison Review (19 Aug '10)
- Why Men Cheat Review (19 Aug '10)
- Singin' I'm No A Billy He's A Tim Review (18 Aug '10)
- Ardal O'Hanlon Review (17 Aug '10)
- Just Macbeth! Review (16 Aug '10)
- Jordan Review (14 Aug '10)
- The Silver Darlings Review (12 Aug '10)
- Sunset Song Review (09 Aug '10)
- Year Of The Horse Review (29 Aug '09)
- Roger McGough - That Awkward Age Review (24 Aug '09)
- Doctor Whom: My search for Samuel Johnson Review (24 Aug '09)