Church Hill Theatre
Church Hill Theatre was originally built as a church in 1892. Purchased in 1960 by the Council, it has served as a theatre for community and Fringe performers since 1965.
The Church Hill Theatre reopened in August 2006 after extensive refurbishment to the foyer, cafe bar area and installation of an extension which provides lift access to the auditorium. The theatre is operated by Edinburgh Assembly Rooms.
This area of Morningside has a surprising density of churches - the crossroads sometimes referred to as Holy Corner is just down the road from here. The Church Hill Theatre is distinguished by its ruddy brown stone. It is less vertical than the more gothic-looking, darker stoned churches in the area. The Church Hill Theatre also has a front driveway and is clearly signed on its front.
The Church Hill Studio is adjacent to the Theatre.
Reviews of shows here
- Bothered and Bewildered, Church Hill Theatre, Review (27 May '16)
- Blackadder Goes Forth, Churchill Theatre, Review (07 Apr '16)
- The Producers, Church Hill Theatre, Review (23 Mar '16)
- We dance, wee groove, Church Hill Theatre, Imaginate Review (17 May '15)
- Mouth Open Story Jump Out, Churchill Theatre, Imaginate Review (14 May '15)
- Imaginate 2014: a small story /eine kleine geschichte Review (06 May '14)
- How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Churchill Theatre, Review (20 Mar '13)
- Cloud Man, Church Hill Theatre, Review (11 May '12)
- Paperbelle, Church Hill Theatre, Review (10 May '12)
- Sweeney Todd, Church Hill Theatre, Review (28 Mar '12)
- War At Home Review (18 Aug '11)
- Imaginate Festival: Potato Needs A Bath Review (15 May '11)
- Rent, Churchill Theatre, Review (06 Apr '11)
- Guys 'n' Dolls, Church Hill Theatre, Review (05 Mar '11)
- Closer, Churchill Theatre, Review (09 May '10)
- Footloose Review (23 Feb '10)
- MacPherson's Rant Review (22 Oct '09)
- Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up? Review (12 Aug '09)
- Dames at Sea Review (10 Aug '09)
- Chicago: A musical vaudeville (16 Aug '07)