Edinburgh Waverley Train Station
Waverley Station (aka "Edinburgh Waverley" on train timetables or referred to by locals as just "Waverley") is Edinburgh's main train station, and at 25acres it is the largest mainline station outside of London. It is one of Edinburgh's two main central stations, the other being Haymarket Station, located under a mile and a half west of Waverley.
Waverley Station is located in a trench at the meeting point of Edinburgh's historic New Town and Old Town. Waverley's entrances are at Princes Street to the North, Market Street to the South and to the West Waverley Bridge (adjacent to East Princes Street Gardens). The three-span North bridge rises up above Waverley to the North.
Waverley has 18 platforms in use, with around 30,000 passengers a day passing through the station.
The station was originally developed in 1854 when the North British Railway Company joined three existing railway stations on adjacent sites together. It was expanded in the 1890s to handle increased traffic after the opening of the Forth Rail Bridge.
Waverley is now operated by Network Rail.
Edinburgh Waverley Map
Red markers are Waverley Station access points