The Signet Library, in the centre of Edinburgh’s old town close by the main entrance to St Giles' Cathedral, is synonymous with prestige and Georgian elegance. Steeped in history, the building, with its lower and upper libraries, was completed in 1822 in time for the celebrated visit to Edinburgh of King George IV who described the upper library as “the finest drawing room in Europe”.
The library is home to the prestigious Society of Writers to her Majesty’s Signet (also known as the WS Society), an association of Scottish lawyers and one of the oldest professional bodies in the world. The Society’s origins lie in the 15th century as the “writers” of documents sealed with “the Signet”, the private seal of the Scottish kings – members are known as “Writers to the Signet” or “WS”.
This is the third year that The Signet Library becomes a champagne cafe bar. It is open to the public from 2nd to 26th August 2013.
There are hundreds of meeting places throughout the city - this one is just a little bit different.