Traditionally, Hogmanay is marked in Scotland with friends and first footing at the strike of midnight in the New Year. The origins of Hogmanay are somewhat obscure although elements of it have been traced to Celtic, Pictish and Norse Winter Solstice traditions.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay is a three-day winter festival that takes place at the end of each year. Highlights include the Torchlight Procession and Edinburgh's Hogmanay Street Party (read review, watch videos) where 80,000 or so revellers jam into the city centre to see in the New Year.
Check the Edinburgh Weather forecast.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay 2019-2020 Programme
- G'day 2020 With Kylie Audist
- Bairns Afore
- Mark Ronson's Hogmanay in the Gardens
- Ceilidh Under the Castle
- Candlelight concert
- Hogmanay Street Party
- Hogmanay Fireworks at Midnight
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay Official After Party
- Loony Dook
- Edinburgh's New Year's Day Triathlon
- New Year Sprint Final
- Auld Lang Syne at Hogmanay 2008/2009
- The Torchlight Procession - Hogmanay Kiss
- Fireworks on Calton Hill
- "The Longest Strip in the Willow in the World"
- Ceilidh Dancing at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- On George Street at Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- Millennium Hogmanay Edinburgh's Hogmanay compilation
- 1,000 Bagpipers at Millennium Hogmanay Mass pipes and drums march down the Royal Mile on 30 December 1999.
- Hogmanay Street Party: £31.50 (includes £1 booking fee, 50p for Brain Charity) from the Hogmanay Box office. 10,000 tickets for £21.50 number of EH postcode purchases.
- Concert in the Gardens: £85 (includes £5 booking fee) for Enclosure & £75 (includes £5 booking fee) for tickets to the Gardens
- Loony Dook: £10 registration fee (plus £2 booking fee)
- Candlelight Concert: £21 (includes £1 booking fee)
- Torchlight Procession Vouchers for torches available for purchase in advance for £13 (includes £1 booking fee). £3 without a torch.
- Symphonic Ibiza: £53, £43, £33 (includes £3 booking fee).
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Box Office
Online sales Edinburgh's Hogmanay website (official site)
Telephone 0131 510 0395.
Details to be confirmed, but in the past, from 27 to 31st December, you could visit the official Edinburgh's Hogmanay ticket office in person in Bristo Square.
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Night Buses
Edinburgh's Hogmanay Accommodation
Accommodation in Edinburgh fills up quickly so it pays to plan ahead.
For Hogmanay celebrations information for the rest of Scotland check out the Home of Hogmanay site at www.hogmanay.net