After the votes were counted for yesterday's historic referendum on whether Britain should leave or remain in the European Union, once again Scotland found itself voting the opposite way from the rest of the United Kingdom.
While the anti-EU campaign in England and Wales managed to clinch a slight win with a tally of 52% of the vote, here in Scotland 62% of voters voted the other way - to remain in the EU.
In Edinburgh, numbers in the Remain camp were even more pronounced with over 74% of Edinburgh voters chosing to Remain compared to 26% for Leave. Voter turnout was a healthy 73% for the city.
Counting Officer Andrew Kerr announced the results for Edinburgh’s five constituencies at Meadowbank Sports Centre in the early hours of this morning.
Edinburgh results by constituency
- East constituency: 44,020 votes - 72% remain (31,821 votes); 28% leave (12,153 votes)
- North & Leith constituency: 57,099 votes - 78% remain (44,618); 22% leave (12,435 votes)
- South constituency: 47,649 votes - 78% remain (37,069 votes); 22% leave (10,549 votes)
- South West constituency: 50,308 votes - 72% remain (36,269 votes); 28% leave (14,008 votes)
- West constituency: 53,405 votes - 71% remain (38,019 votes); 29% leave (15,353 votes)
- Electorate: 346,073
- Votes cast: 252,481
- Votes to remain in the EU: 187,796; Votes to leave the EU: 64,498