Corstorphine Hill is a public park and nature reserve to the West of Edinburgh, on the road to Glasgow. It's often considered one of Edinburgh's "Seven Hills". The low lying hill at 531 ft (161m) is a great place to ramble with its mix of mature, broad-leaved woodland - in particular, elm and sycamore - and odd rock formations that jut out of the ground here and there. As well as being Edinburgh's largest public woodland, its lower slopes are covered in gorse bush and grass lawn.
Wildlife found at Corstorphine Hill includes great spotted woodpecker, tawny owl, badger, kestrel, and sparrowhawk.
At the top of the summit is a folly, the Clermiston Tower, also known as the Scott Tower or the Corstorphine Hill Tower, a memorial to Edinburgh romantic novelist Walter Scott. The tower was built by William Mackie of Dreghorn in 1871 on centenary of Scott's birth. It re-opened to the public in 2003. From the parapet at the top you can get some of the best views of the surrounding area.
The Clermiston Tower is now dwarved by a large, fenced-off communications tower.
Another attraction of Corstorphine Hill is its recently restored walled garden where, since 2001, local volunteer group "friends of Corstorphine Hill" have been creating a quiet space and walled woodland walk using native tree species such as pinewood, birchwood, ashwood and wet woodland.
Some of the rocks have "cup and ring" marks left by people some 3000 years ago.