After being destroyed in a fire in 1973 and left to ruin, this private historic mansion is being bought by compulsory purchase order and grounds are being taken over by public agencies in 2012 for renovation.
One of Scotland's earliest examples of a Palladian style villa the building was commissioned by Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, a key figure of the Scottish enlightenment and designed by William Adam, the leading architect of the early eighteenth century, between 1723 and 1725.
The policy grounds of about 140 acres (57 hectares) are also Scheduled as an Ancient Monument, have Conservation Area status and are included in the Inventory of Scotland's Gardens and Designed Landscapes.
The property will have occasional open days and will be let out as self-catering accommodation. The grounds will provide public access.