Completed in 1970 this building near the Inverleith Row entrance to the Royal Botanic Garden was designed for floral displays, art exhibtions, and performances.
Previously known as the Plant Exhibition Hall, its name and function changed with the opening of the John Hope Gateway in October 2009. The Fletcher Building is now used mainly for school classes and teaching training events.
During the Fringe 2010, the venue sees a performance of an eco-musical play for 8 years upwards, called the Songbird.
The Fletcher Building is named after Dr Harold Roy Fletcher, who was the 11th Regius Keeper of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (1956 -1970), and oversaw the development of the Glasshouse Front Range and the Plant Exhibition Hall.