Edinburgh Festival Free Shows
Lack of money should be no obstacle to partaking of the cultural feeding frenzy in Edinburgh in August. Each year there is an array of events and free shows on the Fringe or at other Edinburgh Festivals.
Free Shows at Edinburgh's Festivals
- The Free Fringe (See Venues, map) Hundreds of free shows over August
- Fringe on the High Street Street performers busking every day on Royal Mile.
- Edinburgh Art Festival Many exhibitions and events are free.
- BBC @ Potterrow Beeb's live casts from the pop-up venue at Potterrow.
- Edinburgh Mela Multicultural summer festival.
- Edinburgh Book Festival's Unbound Late and free at the Spiegel Tent in Charlotte Sqaure Gardens.
- Festival of Politics Panel discussions at Scottish Parliament, most are free.
- Edinburgh Festival Fireworks The Edinburgh International Festival's grand finale.
There are two rival organisations who have taken on the mantle of the "Free Fringe": the Laughing Horse and Peter Buckley Hill's Free Fringe Comedy. The events are usually in pubs or clubs. Sadly, beer is not free as well.
Free tickets can be booked in advance through the Fringe Box Office, but you can often catch a show simply by rolling up to the venue.
Peter Buckley Hill's Free Fringe (website)
Looking at the list of PBH's venues can you detect a theme? A daily dose of laughs with your beer.
The former "Spirit of the Fringe" winner, PBH's Free Fringe returns in 2012 with more comedy, spoken word, theatre, and live performances across 30 venues.
See list of free fringe venues.
The Laughing Horse - Free Fringe Festival (website)
The other Free Fringe fest goes under the Laughing Horse banner.
The shows cover the gamut of live performance - comedy, cabaret, live music, theatre - in 17 venues: free fringe venues