Famous Spiegeltent, The
Great temporary venue centrally located in famous New Town setting of St Andrew Square Garden. Due to the limited number of sizeable Fringe venues in Edinburgh, there are always a number of big tops and tents that are hoisted at the beginning of August. The Spiegeltent (venue 87) - an old-style big top dating from the 1920s with its mirrored, kabaret interior - has been one of the mainstays of the Edinburgh Fringe for many years moving, over the course of many years, to different locations around Edinburgh.
In 2009, the Spiegel tent didn't make it to the festival as its owner decided to use the economic downturn as an opportunity to make necessary renovations to the 89-year-old tent. It returned in 2010 but not 2011, although George Square Gardens remains a lively tented village in festival season.
In 2014, the Spiegeltent moved into the historic St Andrew Square location.
Reviews of shows here
- Scottee: Camp (as Christmas), Spiegeltent, Review (18 Dec '15)
- Briefs: The Second Coming, Famous Spiegeltent, Review (20 Dec '14)
- Stick Man, Spiegeltent, Review (01 Dec '14)
- Scotch and Soda, The Paradiso Speigletent, Review (27 Nov '14)
- Sunshine on Leith, Famous Spiegeltent, Review (18 Aug '14)
- The Poozies, Famous Spiegeltent, Review (18 Aug '14)
- The Loveboat Big Band, Famous Spiegeltent, Review (16 Aug '14)
- Brave Macbeth, Famous Spiegeltent, Review (02 Aug '14)
- Ali McGregor's Jazzamatazz Review (12 Aug '13)
- La Clique Royale Review (12 Aug '12)
- Smoke and Mirrors Review (24 Aug '10)
- Shooglenifty Review (15 Aug '10)
- The Road To Independence: Where is Scotland's future? (25 Aug '08)
- Shooglenifty (25 Aug '08)
- Tam White in concert (27 Aug '07)
- Orkesetra del Sol (14 Aug '07)